Friday, March 9, 2012

A Warped POV by A. Dacosta Brathway

March 9th, Friday... I attended the Maryland State Basketball Championship games for high school team yesterday at the University of Maryland and an interesting dynamic took place. Now, it was not an isolated occurrence but I was a bit taken aback when I eyeballed it for myself. Apparently there is a high school phenom that attends a school (Patterson High School I think the name is) in Baltimore known as the "Crime Stopper!" His momma named him Shiquille Carr, a 5'3" speedster who is like a blur if you watch him very closely. But, he is not the object of my post, per se... When got my attention was his following! People were filing into the arena like they were going to a family reunion picnic by the bus load(s)! Watching the people barge in, I got to thinking, what is it about "hero worship" and black folks? I mean, if not the "Crime Stopper" it's Deion Sanders! If not Deion, it's Earl Monroe (Black Jesus!) If not Earl, it's Jesus himself! What?
I was raised to not be a follower. My mother told me that if I became a "follower" I could end up falling in love with a boy named Skip!
My point is this: Aspire to be a damn leader and leave the following to the weak minded! If you are weak-minded, strengthen your brain! I realize that everyone cannot be a leader but remember the plight of the second sled dog and the lemming. (If you do not know what I am talking about, use Wikipedia please!)

No comments: