Friday, December 16, 2011

A Warped POV by A. Dacosta Brathway

December 16th, Friday... I was reading an article about the hazing incident that took place involving the death of a marching band member by the hand(s) of the band itself. The Florida A&M marching band participated in a (traditional) hazing to initiate members into the band and caused complications that ultimately killed him! My question is: What the hell is it with this kind of activity to intro someone into a group that is so damn pleasing to those involved? Why do it and why want it done? There is no group I would want to be involved with that could not wait to kick my ass and then call me "Brother!" I'm not a masochist but that's just me!
I went to a Black college where pledging a fraternity was a big deal and I have seen and heard about some of the hazing that went on. Someone paddling my ass was not my idea of bonding! From what I have seen, a part of being in a fraternity was to (easily) attract women. I did not want to be a part of being the affection of some "big brotha" who was (still) having women problems and took out his frustration on my ass! Next thing you know, parties at the frat house would turn into wanting conjugal visits like in prison!

No comments: