Sunday, April 8, 2012

A Warped POV by A. Dacosta Brathway

April 8th, Sunday...I'm sitting here messing with the computer and the TV is on. I'm not watching it per se but I am listening to the movie that is on.It's one of those Transformer films... I don't know. The second one or the third one... [Maybe it's the fifteenth one? (Did they go that far with the sequels?)] Anyway, during a commercial break, the network (FX) has two hosts explaining some technical aspect while they were filming and I hear one of the actors say (paraphrasing here) that the special effects people were up on a hill underneath umbrellas and tents while she stood two feet from where they planted the explosives. When signaled, she had to run while the explosives went of. Mind you, she had no shelter and was, literally, running for her life! E-X-C-U-S-E M-E? Running for her life? The possibility that she could be hurt, maimed, or killed?
Ok, I am all for authenticity but damn... What happened to the stunt people? Were they too smart to do the scene because they feared for their lives? Are filmmakers too insensitive because they want to secure their investment when shooting a block buster movie?
I wanted to be an actor but my fear was that I would be type cast as a dope dealer or a pimp and a scene would call for me getting shot... And wouldn't you know it, the gun would have real bullets in it and I would be shot all up to be damned!

No comments: