Monday, April 18, 2011

A Warped POV by A. Dacosta Brathway

April 18th, Monday...I'm in a play w/ some talented middle school kids (thespians) called "Real Talk." It's about a DJ/Radio Talk Show host who fields telephone calls from troubled teens.It's cool but the play is not the thing. It's the rehearsals where things jump off! (The cast is middle school kids from a performing arts school in Maryland.)We have had a couple of sessions where we, the cast, was allowed to reveal our inner most "whatever" about ourselves and you talk about drama! (Pun intended!) I heard some things that made my life seem like that of a middle school kid and they were the adults! I'm talking teenage angst, dysfunctional families, peer pressure, bullying, low self-esteem, high self-esteem, jealousy, envy, dead beat dads, dead beat moms, suicide, abandonment... Man, when those sessions were finished, I was ballin' harder then the kids! To hell w/ a psychiatrist! I may do another play just for the therapy in rehearsal!
I feel released, free, cleansed, clear, non problematic... I don't know, better? Oh, I'm terrified about being on stage, in front of problem riddled, guilty parents, teachers/administrators, and students who are less fortunate and deprived of the sessions I've experienced but, I'm thinking that my stage fright will pass after the first show. No, I don't know all my lines but I expect the kids to carry me... Since they keep insisting that "everything will be ok!" (I wish I had their courage!) I will go up there... I may be 1/2 drunk though.
What the hell. Maybe I'll get lucky and "break a leg?"

No comments: