Tuesday, September 20, 2011

A Warped POV by A. Dacosta Brathway

September 20th, Tuesday... I attended my alma matta's homecoming this past weekend and I had a half ass time. I should have been excited to see the people I went to college with but I saw them last year and the year before that and the year before that, ad nauseam. They are a year older (as am I), they look tired (as I feel), and they are still telling lies (as I did!).
The routine was the same... I walked around the campus w/ a group of guys I hung out w/ in college. We laughed, we ate, we reminisced, and we talked about people. We talked about the young ones, who we thought did not have a clue about how to manage college like we did, back in the day. In retrospect, who gives a shit if they don't do it like we did? Why would they have to? Actually, homecoming is intended for the alumni to come back and see how things have changed but the events seem to cater for the present students so I'm thinking, "...why even go back every year?" There is no real getting together w/ them. The fraternities and sororities cook, eat, and dance on their plot of land. Everyone else walks around like a bunch of well dressed transients... There's music, loud talking, drinking (under the disguise of some popular drink container), men watching ass shake in skin tight pants and women wondering what the hell they are looking at?
Did I have fun? Not really. Am I glad I went? Yeah, pretty much... I always say I am not going to go but I usually do attend. Will I go next year? I'll say that I'm not but I probably will. How long will I keep up this charade? Hell if I know...

No comments: