Friday, April 10, 2009

A Warped POV by A. Dacosta Brathway

April 10th, Friday/ I'm sorry... I cannot do it anymore! I have been doing it for years and now I have to draw the line. I can no longer sit and listen to pro athletes interview for the media. I mean, I don't know what I am listening to anymore? There used to be a time when I could not wait to hear what a popular athlete had to say. Could not wait... Now, what the hell am I waiting for? Do I want to hear Terrell Owens whine about all the attention he is getting for not attending "voluntary" training with the Buffalo Bills, when it is he who manages to be in the right place, right time, when a camera and mike are present? Do I really want to hear that over and over again from him? Change the channel...
Just yesterday I was listening to the sports news and Tiger Woods was being interviewed. I get it! He is the man! Golf was boring until he showed up. So I am sitting there listening to him explain something about his putting or whatever. My freakin' eyes rolled into the back of my head! He just kept rambling on and on... I was wondering when he was going to relate his putting to solving the economics of the globe!
Maybe it's NOT their fault. I remember when MJ was playing. He was never asked about his political position on ANYTHING! Maybe he had an opinion, maybe he did not. Maybe he was reminded about who was paying him and how much his opinion would affect his cash flow if he said yea or nea about an issue. I remember being party to conversation about my race and the expectation of me not repeating it or else.
Whatever. make your deal with the devil and live with it. All I am saying is stop beating "Joe the Fan" over the head with this bullshit. I mean, I do not want to hear an answer from an athlete about anything when I know he/she can be reprimanded and/or fined for "Tweeting" at half time while on the gig. In as much as I understand that there is a question about professionalism, I also understand "plantation" mentality and everyone involved needs to understand their place in it!

No comments: