Wednesday, April 8, 2009

A Warped POV by A. Dacosta Brathway

April 8th, Wednesday/ Well... This is a sad day for me. It should be a glorious day but it's not, for me. After watching that sad excuse for a final game in the NCAA Elite tournament Monday night, I slept on it then started to recover on Tuesday. I turned on ESPN and watched them scroll through the sports events... And then I saw it! They showed the press conference for MJ (Michael Jordan) being interviewed about his induction into the Basketball Hall of Fame. We are talking about, arguably, the highest honor that can be bestowed on a person for his/her respective sport. So, here he is being interviewed and he says the strangest thing...
MJ is tortured and conflicted and depressed about being inducted into the H of F because it represents his life being over as it pertains to basketball! I could not believe what I was hearing. C'mon Mike! Are you serious?
So I got to thinking... When is it enough? What has to happen for it to be over for someone doing what they like to do, to be satisfied with not doing it anymore? He was actually lamenting his own career because he could no longer "deceive" us common folk who watched and applauded him. He wants more.!
Okay, whatever floats your boat. Here is a suggestion: Arrange pickup games with all of those ex pros who would still like to play. Get the media and Madison Avenue involved to promote the event and find a venue to accommodate the thousands of fans he still thinks he has. Then, have at it! Regardless of the results, I'm sure MJ's ego will be fulfilled. Then, maybe, he can make the "Overtime H of F" and be satisfied with that! I am sure he will get inducted.

No comments: